Saturday, May 10, 2008

Safe at the arse-end of the world

Okay, I know it's been quite a while since my last post, but I had the laptop online and on my lap when I had this thought, so I thought I'd go ahead and plonk it down for the ages.

I spent most of this afternoon watching the ridiculously awesome Children of Men, and now I've got that rah-rah Americah blockbuster that is Independence Day playing in the background, and it got me ruminating on the one contant that seems to run through these movies: in most global disaster movies, nothing ever seems to be said about the fate of Australia.  Or New Zealand, for that matter, but lets face it: if it's a choice between being enslaved by a race of big-headed aliens from beyond Uranus, and moving to NZ, then most Aussies would happily join the line for the silver jumpsuits and electronic collars.

Now, I'm not really surprised about blockbusters like ID4 and Armageddon, and I was quite chuffed that we did get a passing mention towards the end of the film, but after doing what I normally do after watching a film (that is, trolling through the Trivia on IMDB) I was horrified to discover that in the montage that shows England as the only country not to descend into anarchy, no mention is made of Australia at all.  New York gets nuked, The Eiffel Tower lies in ruin, but nothing about Brisbane, Melbourne, hell, even Sydney.

So, here's what I've figured out: if there's ever some kind of global catastrophe - even the hint of one - wherever I am in the world, I'm getting my arse back to Australia.  If it's good enough for Neville Chute,  it's good enough for me.

1 comment:

ash*moz said...

hello Uncle Felix, check out our blog and me kirsten ally and isabelle have one 2
aussiechicksaustralia.blogspot.com

love ash xoxoxo